Wednesday, April 2, 2008

In class assignment, Wednesday, 2 April

Every once in a while I pull one of those absence minded professor moments which is more of a boner than normal. Usually, it's just leaving my books, pens, eye-glasses in a room or forgetting to pick up my wallet or forgetting where I put a stack of student papers. This morning was different, and my carelessness was compounded by the fact I was half asleep.

Around 4:30 this morning, my joints are hurting; so, I wake up early and stumble into the bathroom to grab a pill which will get the pain down to manageable levels and I can fall back asleep. Unfortunately, Nance has just gotten a prescription for Ambien, a medicine for insomnia. I take it by mistake, and it's only as I get up at 5:30 and literally stumble toward my bath that I realize that something is very, very wrong. In any event, I won't be driving this morning, and if all goes well, I will soon be snooring again.

You will, however, have class. I would like you to meet in your groups and begin work on your tea papers. Brainstorm together what you might say in your paper. Go through your sociology texts and try to figure out places where what was discussed apply to the tea. If possible, work out a tentative outline for your paper prior to leaving class. You will turn a *copy* of these outlines in to me on Friday, so you have between now and Friday to work on them.

I am trusting you to stay on task and work in groups. On Friday, since you'll again be working in groups, this time on your oral presentation, I'll have more to say on the subject. Here's the short version:

Appointment someone to run the meeting and someone to keep track of what gets said:

1. Figure out a clear statement of what you need to accomplish.
2. Assign specific tasks for each member of your group to accomplish.
3. Set specific deadlines for these tasks to be accomplished.
4. Negotiate these deadlines/tasks until every feels comfortable.
5. Set a time, place, and the agenda for the next meeting.


Steve

No comments: